HISTORY: December 11, 1945 was the organizational meeting which paved the way for the formation of our club. Our club was sponsored by the Knoxville Rotary Club and the charter night banquet was held on March 22,1946. (Click to learn more)
PROJECTS: We are committed to projects that enhance our community and the world in which we live. We have risen to the challenge of our District Governor, Fred Heitman, and have planned at least one project for each month of the Rotary Year:
- July – Contribute to Hunters for the Hungry Program (DONE!)
- August – Soles for Souls – Wear Out Poverty with Gently Used Shoes (In Progress)
- September – Dictionary Project
– Golf Tournament at Centennial Golf Course to Raise Funds for
Development of an OR Community Garden (9/23)
- October – Street Painting Festival to benefit Roane State Foundation (10/1)
- November – Dental Services Project
– Secret City Commemorative Walk Clean Up
- December – Backpack Program
- January – Food Bank Support Project
- February – Valentine’s Day Social Event for Community (TBD)
- March – Contribute to the Solar Light Project in South Africa
- April – Community Beautification Workday
- May – Collect Soap and Shampoo – distribute to charity of our choice
- June – Secret City Festival Project
We have several other projects that we will likely add to the list along with our District Grant and Global Grants that are in progress. Some current highlights are:
We currently have a Global Grant for $96,000 to conduct a Medical Mission in Ghana. Dr Elaine Bunick of our club is leading this project. Along with Adolf King, also a member of our club, and a small team of medical and support staff spent a couple of weeks in Ghana this summer to kick off the grant work. In addition to conducting medical and eye clinics where they saw and treated some 1,800 patients, they also made huge strides towards getting the Ghana government officials and local Rotary Clubs on board and as a result, work to update the existing medical facility is progressing. An Educational Global Grant is in the planning stages for the upcoming Rotary Year.
The Street Painting Festival, held annually, provides scholarships for Roane State Community College students. This Festival is an exciting opportunity for artists to display their talents in chalk art, with awards given to the festival winners. This year The Street Painting Festival will be held at Roane State’s Oak Ridge Campus on Saturday October 1, 2016. We are in need of volunteers to help solicit sponsors and work the day of the festival. . To volunteer, please contact Nancy Harrison at firstname.lastname@example.org .
On Friday September 23, 2016, we have a Golf Tournament Fundraiser at Centennial Golf Course to support the Development of the Scarboro Community Garden. Click here for registration or sponsor information. Contact Don Tillar at email@example.com to volunteer to work the day of the event.
November 2- 9, 2016, the Heart2Heart team will be traveling to Mexico City to visit our mission projects in Central Mexico. Several of our club members will be joining the Heart2Heart team that will be visiting projects such as the school project in Toluca and the Kidney Transplant Hospital. If you are interested in joining this team on the trip, please contact Anne Dunthorn at firstname.lastname@example.org .